Saturday, April 10, 2010

Digging..

Since it rained the last couple days, I decided to clean up the trenches around the old beds in the back and the new bed-that-is-to-be.. I tend to lose track of time when I work though- I ended up doing the whole trench and giving myself a blister on my palm (I had only planned on being out there 10 minutes so I didn't bother with my gloves). I also trenched the edges of the patio corner where I hope to plant grasses, and a small curved bed just the other side of the fence where I think I will try to put a reblooming lilac if I can find one in any of our nurseries. Now let's see if my ankle hurts tomorrow!.. :)

I am hoping to pick up a couple plants and get a load of dirt delivered end of April. With my brother's help, I will get all the dirt moved to the back and get things planted. Will see how that goes!

I am also thinking of planting a couple more things in the bed with the Tamukeyama by the dining room window. Won't really need dirt or mulch deliveries for that since the bed is already there, just a bag or two each. I haven't decided what to plant yet though. I have 3 spaces, around 4-foot diameter each, and I hope to put a little bench and some stepping stones in that space as well. Space gets between minimal early morning sun to a bit of sun most of the morning, afternoon shade throughout. Very protected location, gets very little wind since it is protected by house on two sides. I want whatever I put in to be a backdrop for the tamukeyama, so I would like somewhat compact shrubs, probably no taller than 4-5 feet at full maturity (don't want to block off the dining room windows). Would like these to be pretty and interested, look good with the J maple, and not be really touchy about growing conditions(I tend to kill azaleas and rhododendrons since I don't remember to give them the acid in the soil that they need). And I am not a huge fan of hydrangeas, but I may end up going down that path if I can't find anything I like better. Hmmm... time for trolling some nurseries for ideas methinks...

No pics yet, since there are just holes in the ground. Will post once I have anything new put in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home