Friday, May 22, 2009

New plants!

I did some running around the last couple days to find the right plants for the layout that I wanted to get done this spring. 6 plants total (then another 5-6 for fall)- I have 5 bought already. The 6th is kinda hard to find, but I tracked down a couple at our next-door nursery, so will probably be picking it up in the next week. Dirt due to be delivered next Fri, so hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I will be able to get everything planted and all the new beds put together.

The buckthorn I found bigger and cheaper than the one I saw last year. The elderberry and the falsecypress I got from a locally-owned nursery- they are very helpful, and they frequently have small 'starts' of interesting plants for pretty cheap. I am hoping to get 5 Midnight Wine weigela from them this year too when they get them back in stock- it is a 2' round weigela that is a mini version of Wine and Roses. Beautiful burgundy foliage, and perfect size for what I had in mind! The Viridis Japanes maple, I got cheap on sale at Home Depot- my Tamukeyama from them last year turned out SOO well, that I figured I would give it another try.. especially since it was less that 1/3 of the price of the rest of the ones I found!! The last plant I haven't picked up yet is a Baker Blue spruce- beautiful blue color, compact conical shape, max 12'-15' tall.

Here are the plants I have already:


























and here is a plan of what I have in mind by the end of the fall. Colors aren't quite right- the weigela is more maroon than this red, and the elderberry is almost black, but at least the shapes and location are mostly right:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home